Monday, May 11, 2009

Bike to Work Day is Coming - Prepare!




Since I began biking to work last September, I've learned a few things. First, it is probably not a good idea to choose your bicycle based on how well the color goes with the color of your house (really well). I love my bike but had I known about the overhead bike racks on light rail I never would have chosen the heaviest bike on the market. Another really important thing I've learned is that if you intend to ride your bike and save the planet, sometimes your friends are going to have to make some sacrifices like hauling 20 pound bags of bird seed to school for you and so it really helps to have nice friends. And speaking of friends, I've learned that you meet a lot of very likable people when commuting by bike and light rail. It never ceases to amaze me how many people have these interesting lives and great stories to tell. I have also learned that I don't really need to buy everything I thought I needed to buy. When faced with detour of considerable distance, I often decide I can do without (quite nicely) the thing I planned to purchase. I've learned how relaxing and pleasant it is to ride and how much more I notice in the landscape when I'm out of the car and off the main roads. People have begun to recognize me and wave and give me a shout out as I pass. I passed an older woman this morning, someone I see all the time and she called out to me to say that she finally got her bike out and started riding. I would like to say I've inspired an army of people to get out of their cars and onto their bikes but I haven't exactly done that. Two good friends did go out and buy bikes this year though and I'm proud of them. Check out the Bike to Work website and who knows, maybe you'll be inspired.

3 comments:

margot said...

I am going to do it! And hopefully I will be inspired to ride to the ferry building at least once a week. Unfortunately it means waking up a bit earlier.

Suzanne Yada said...

I just discovered your blog today through the Roosevelt Park Neighborhood newsletter and I LOVE it! I blog over at San Jose Metblogs, are you on there too?

archie said...

Hi JoAnn. This is Archie. I really like your blog. You are everywhere. Well, I hope to bump into you again on the LR. Bike Party is tonight so I hope to see you out there. Bye!