Monday, March 30, 2009

Nostalgia Makes this Food Taste Better




I admit that my fondness for Sagar Sweets (formerly known as Nusrat Sweets) has more to do with memories than with the food.  If their sign is accurate, then I guess I started eating here shortly after it opened - in 1978.  It had been many years since I had last eaten here and although it hasn't improved with age, it is still a very lovable restaurant.  When my 29 year old was a toddler, this was one of the few places where we could eat out and relax.  Back then the restaurant had a patio which sat directly below the San Jose Airport landing pattern and the fun of watching jets fly over us and even the anticipation of jets flying over us kept my son gleefully occupied throughout the meal.  Plus, we were eating on a patio, big plus when dining with toddlers.  Sadly the patio is gone.  I had lunch here on Sunday and when I walked in the owner appeared stunned to see a customer.  But then he became quite friendly and the service was great.  The food is not fancy or real special but you get a very respectable meal for $4.95.  The lunch included a potato, lentil and spinach dish which was thick and tasty and spicy, a soupy bean dish with tomatoes and lentils, two warm, chewy and delicious roti flatbreads, a very tasty lime pickle and some sort of rayta.  Sagar Sweets is where I first acquired a taste for Indian desserts.  I topped off lunch with a dense, pink square of dessert and I was a happy camper.

No comments: