Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Gem of a Coffee House





I first discovered Lowry's Irish Coffee House when my dog made friends with another dog while we were walking on River St. nearby the place.  After walking together for awhile the other dog's owner asked if I wanted to go get coffee at Lowry's.  I said I never go inside because I don't want to leave my dog tied up near all those people eating pastries.  The dog owner said he'd be happy to "babysit" my dog so I could go in!  It worked out great.  Although I don't know what precisely is Irish about this coffee place, it is a delightful change from the usual chain coffee places and bagel places.  The breakfast menu is vast and includes a bunch of vegetarian options. The oatmeal pancake special sounded delicious but I was in the mood for something savory. I had one of their "bites" which are breakfast sandwiches on an egg bun.  An egg bun is the size and shape of a hamburger bun but is made from something like a brioche dough.  It is less buttery than a croissant and less dense than a bagel.  I enjoyed relaxing in the warm but spacious shop, eating and reading the newspaper (provided).  There are tables out on a pretty, sunny porch but it was a bit chilly for that this a.m.  A great spot for relaxing while you enjoy your coffee.

2 comments:

margot said...

I wonder how a "bite" would be inside a doughnut.

emmy said...

that's something i love about san jose, walking around and meeting people. sounds like you had a good time