Saturday, May 1, 2010

What a Difference 7 Years Makes

This weekend marks the 7th anniversary of my move to downtown San Jose.  I remember that weekend 7 years ago well, with all the wonderful friends and family who helped me move and offered words of encouragement (even if forced at times) and tried not show their horror at what I had taken on. Cinco de Mayo celebrations were in full swing and every car, house and person (it seemed) sported a Mexican flag.  There was music and the happy sounds of family gatherings everywhere and the air was filled with wonderful smells of barbeque and home cooking.  My neighbors came over with plates of delicious fresh food to welcome me. Today I spent the day in the Santa Cruz mountains and as I rode back into town I could tell from the helicopters overhead that the immigration reform march must have started.  I headed over to Santa Clara Street and was struck by the different tone and appearance of today's march from the marches in the past.

 Today there were mostly American flags sending a clear message: "We ARE Americans."  The crowd had a focused message "Reform Now!"

This country has shown itself to be capable of great things, enormous generosity, bravery, creativity, ingenuity and resourcefulness.  We are big enough and good enough to tackle this issue and make America work for all its people.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi JoAnn,
I'm working on a project with the Knight Foundation and Gallup on community attachment. I've been following your blog and wanted to get in contact with you. My email is gaballi@jeffreygroup.com- I hope to hear from you!