Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Walking to the San Jose Airport



When it came time for my son's girlfriend to fly back to Boston after her holiday visit here, she asked if we could walk to the airport.  I couldn't think of any reason one wouldn't walk to the airport, it's just that as far as I know, no one ever does. I love the Guadelupe River Parkway and my dog and I have walked hundreds of miles along the trails but never to get to the airport for a flight.  Well it turns out you can do it, it is really no big deal. Although judging from the makeshift, iffy looking pathway that leads you from the river trail to the terminal, it is clearly not encouraged.  If you begin at the HP Pavilion and walk north, it is about 3 1/2 miles to the airport.  You will almost certainly spot an elegant white egret while you are walking.  In addition to the picture of me and my son walking the trail, I'm posting a picture of the beautiful and moving Veteran's Memorial at Guadelupe River Parkway and Park Ave.  The striking white flags represent military personnel in formation.  If you visit the memorial, make sure you take time to read the etched glass panels which have figures of veterans and excerpts from their letters home telling of their experiences in various wars.

3 comments:

margot said...

Sounds like a nice walk. I think your blog looks great!

Anonymous said...

It was funny when that jogger asked if we were running away from home as we approached the airport on that dirt road. It is probably a rare sight to see three folks with bags approaching the airport on foot!

I love the website so far. I can't wait to read more!

Anonymous said...

Your blog is delightful. Very creative. Nice pictures. Love your adventures. Your students at school must look forward to seeing you each morning. You probably light up their day with stories.